Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thanksgiving and Such - Rewinded some More

This is a randomized post I started before Thanksgiving and never finished. I started this wayyy before my Black Friday post! I was not feeling the Thanksgiving blessings that I should have been at the time. This post actually helped me work though some of that negativity and moodiness. One of the many benefits of being a woman...you may feel one way one day, then completely different the next...Thank you hormones ;) Clearly, I am in a much better place now. All I needed was a couple good sermons, some BFF time, and some family time. I also took a break over Thanksgiving weekend from my jewelry, crafts, and such. MUCH NEEDED!

By the time I was done writing this, I felt completely different. Especially after the postcards!
REWIND:
 Here is where it began 11/22/11:
Here we are. Thanksgiving week is upon us already. Big YAY. I'm not about to get all Thanksgiving -gooey with thankfulness on y'all. Mainly because I am not feelin' it just yet, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed lately. However, I must say that Sunday's sermon at least got me headed in the right direction, and I have been thinking a little differently ever since. 

Honestly, I think my heart is not going in the right direction. I hope that will change in the next couple days! I need to pray to have contentment, peace, and thankfulness inside me. Meanwhile, my heart and brain are going in two different directions.  I just don't feel connected to the holidays this year as I have in the past. Maybe it's because I'm getting older? I don't even really feel like decorating and that's not me!

In order to get myself in the mood, I wanted to share some vintage postcards that my dearest friend Gail gave me. I have several from different holidays and I couldn't wait to share the ones from Thanksgiving- They are my favorite! They do remind me of things to be thankful for; how much our country has changed, the freedom that we have, and the easiness of our lives now compared to many years ago. 



I think these give an accurate depiction of the way things were, and just how hard it was. I think the writing is so precious and honest. People just don't do those things anymore! I am so very thankful for the freedom that we have here in the United States. More than anything, I am thankful for all those who protect us and keep us safe! These postcards are so dear to me. I love them so much. I think you can see why- some of them date back to 1903! 

Aren't they precious? 
They mean so much to me. I hope to share the other holidays that I have throughout the year.


And finally, as I was searching through some older Christmas cards, I found one card in particular that gave me the biggest blessing and just the reminder that I needed! I always pull this out every year, remembering what my life was like then. 


Georgia Anne and I were living in Raleigh and I was in school, and trying to work as much as I could to support myself.  Those years were so precious and such a milestone in my life. It is a reminder to me that faithfulness in the Lord and his protection over us is far greater than anything else we deserve. At a time in my life which was at times absolutely miserable and very very hard, I received this in the mail one day. To this day I do not know who sent it. It came with gift cards to Wal-Mart and The Children's Place with all these sweet messages of hope and faith and love (something I really needed that Christmas). So glad I found it today! It still touches my heart 4 years later and always will!I think I will frame it for a constant reminder of where I am now, and where I acme from...

So  thankful that I am in a place in my life now where I can "pay it forward" to someone else!
Can't wait to spoil my adopted Angel Tree baby this year! 


12/1/11
This is what writing does for me, it puts me in a completely different place.  I <3 Blogging!

1 comment:

  1. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. PS - We are going to a bowl game. Just in case you forgot. The end.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and following my blog. I would love to hear what you have to say! Love, Amber